Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Death as an Advisor

The following is an excerpt from an article
on a near death experience by Julia L.

I was in my early thirties and had already acquired influence within the system, but then my auto accident intervened. I was on my way to a meeting. My friend Robin was driving. We were developing a deep friendship. It was a wonderful ride. It had been raining and was overcast. We were on the New York Thruway and suddenly this huge, eighteen-wheel truck backed up on the shoulder of the road into our lane. We were almost on top of it by the time we saw it because of the fog. We both knew at the same second. I could see from Robin’s actions that she knew there was no way we could avoid hitting the truck. We were going at highway speed, seventy miles an hour.
I didn’t have a life review, but I was certain I was going die. We were in a little Dodge compact car. I may have screamed, I don’t know. Robin swerved the car to the left to get away from the truck. The car went out of control and spun all the way around, hitting the truck on Robin’s side. I was told afterwards that she was killed instantly. The last thing that I remember was a loud noise, panic and then nothing.
Next, I found myself in a cave-like tunnel. I knew it was a cave because it had rocks and green moss on the bottom. And I knew it was a tunnel because there was light coming in from a great distance at both ends. We were in the coolness of what seemed like a long, underground cavern. And we were pretty much in the middle of the cavern. Robin and I were both there, and there was a presence there with us. It had no form but we were both aware of it. It felt safe, loving and wise.
We were shadowy. It felt like I was in and out of my body at the same time. I wasn’t talking to Robin. The presence communicated with us simultaneously, but without words. It described the experience we were about to have, told us that we were going to rise higher up than we could possibly imagine. We were going to go to a place that was beautiful and peaceful beyond what we had ever experienced on Earth. And we were going to be very happy there and without pain.
The presence also indicated that one of us was going to have to come down, and it was going to be very, very painful. Only one of us was going to have the strength to make that trip. I realized that it meant returning to the body. I wanted it to be me, but I felt guilty about that thought. Robin was a fabulous human being and I felt bad that I would return and she would not.
Then suddenly we were suctioned up like magic out of the cave until we were floating weightless in space. The water, air, and sun were flowing through us, between us, and all around us. We had no bodies, no pain, no past, no future.
It was a sensation beyond the senses. At the point that we were outside of the cave and into the light, we didn’t have bodies anymore. There was no shadow, nothing. Suddenly we were pure energy and pure light. It was white, healing, loving energy, and it was all embracing. It was also a perfectly comfortable temperature of water and air with everything flowing through and around us. Everything was part of everything. It was bliss.
There was nothing distinguishable, except the energy that had been Robin and the energy that had been me were connected in the light. I felt her peace. I had no memory of the tunnel, I had no memory of life, and I had no sense of time. So I couldn’t tell you how long I was there. While it was happening, it was just complete and utter oneness, stillness, peace, and nirvana, like being in the womb. It really is beyond description. It’s like nowhere on Earth.
So I no longer feel guilty for leaving Robin in that light. She was peaceful. I know that with absolute certainty, and I’ve been able to convey that to her mother. Whatever Robin had to do in her life, she had completed it. But I obviously wasn’t finished. I still had more work to do and more to learn. But it was not revealed to me. I think part of my work was to make that discovery for myself.
The Healing
My recovery has been an arduous process full of pain and confusion. But the payoff has been huge. It ultimately led to a transformation of my perspective on reality, my values and priorities, my sense of who I am, my connection to Creation, and the place within myself from which I take action in the world. So, though I never would have or could have chosen it for myself, the journey has been worth the price.
.....I was clear that I had a glimpse of God. I’m using the word God for lack of a better word, but I don’t mean the Judeo-Christian God. My experience is closer to an Eastern or Native American view of the circularity, balance and connectedness of the energy in Creation. I am clear to this day that I was in the presence of God. I had never had that experience before. Nor was I one of those people who felt the need for it. But suddenly there I was with this certainty deep within my being. I wondered what I was supposed to do with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home