Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Passages

This morning, as is my habit, I was working on the Psalms. A section of Psalm 31 which speaks so deeply and eloquently of the passages we make through the dappled shadowlands of life struck me. Our journey is one of import and poignancy. It leaves us with traces of the divine Presence all across the patterns of our lives.

Your good, O God, how great, how infinite it is,
a vast unbounded treasure,
it awaits all those who make their home in you.
For from the storms you take us in as refugees.
Your presence is a sheltered place
safe from the strife of human tongues.
I bless you God, for now I see the hidden face of love
which you have shown me even in my pain.
I was besieged and like a city in the midst of civil war,
in panic I cried out:
"I see nothing now. You've vanished out of sight!"
But you heard this desperate cry,
you answered my despair.
So to all I say, "God's love is never wasted, never fails."
God loves you first as guarantee for everything you are and have,
both good and bad.
Be strong of heart,
and wait in patience before the presence of your God.
(--Psalm 31:21-27 Ancient Songs Sung Anew)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home