Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Red Book

I have received quite unexpectedly a copy of C.G. Jung's Red Book, a recently disclosed and published work that is now on display and available as a reproduction and translation of the original creative and visionary seeing of Jung. It is remarkable in every way and represents, perhaps, a breakthrough in both spirituality and psychology in the 20th century. I wanted to give a small sampling of this work as a taste of what is there for our exploration.

If we set a God outside of ourselves, he tears us loose from the self, since the God is more powerful than we are. Our self falls into privation. But if the God moves into the self, he snatches us from what is outside us. We arrive at singleness in ourselves. So the God becomes communal in reference to what is outside us, but single in relationship to us. No one has my God, but my God has everyone, including myself. So it is always the one God despite his multiplicity. You arrive at him in yourself and only through your self seizing you. It seizes you in the advancement of your life (p. 245).

Truly a remarkable quote, and not unlike the teachings of Ibn al-'Arabi.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gail Wiggin said...

Is this similar to β€œβ€¦ neither My heavens nor My earth encompass meβ€” but the heart of My believing servant does encompass Me.”?

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home