Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Awakening Day by Day

Enlightenment is not a peak experience. It’s a permanent shift in paradigm that deepens day by day. - Shinzen Young, "The Point of Contact"

Waking up to our True Self, God-With-Us, is not (for most of us) a one time, peak experience. Sure, tradition suggests the Buddha might have “been-there, done-that” and St Paul likely had a “peak experience”. But even so, they – and we – have to continuously pay attention to the small quiet voice of Spirit otherwise we quickly slip back “asleep”. This is not an easy task and Jeshua was well aware of it. All those trips to the desert to pray, all those times in the garden in silence. For us to ”wake up” and then stay awake, we must follow the same path.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary O said...

A timely reminder that it is a process, a continualy deepening and not a destination, although I'm sure all of us would prefer the latter.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Diana78131 said...

Years ago when I live in Sacramento I was entranced by a calligraphy that represented "enlightenment". I finally decided to buy it, absolutely certain at the time that one day I would "get" there. Today it hangs in my bedroom where every day I am reminded of exactly what you suggest Gary, the process spirals continually and is not a "one time event".

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home