Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Opacity and Light

The Luminous Gospels are an attempt to break open the darkness of human ignorance and restore us into Light. As the three luminous Gospels (Thomas, Mary Magdalene, Philip) teach, we are held captive by our own un-consciousness, as well as by the constraints of a kosmos (world order) that binds us and drives us, preventing us from realizing our own freedom and the unique iconography that is our true Being. So long as we are opaque to our true Self, we are unable to see the light shining through all things (Cheetham). For as Thomas says:

I am the Light shining upon all things.
I am the sum of everything, 
for everything has come forth from me,
and towards me everything unfolds.
Split a piece of wood, and there I am.
Pick up a stone and you will find me there. (77)

I Am not some centuries-old voice from the past.
I listen inside this day like a freshly risen Jesus...
not some archaeologist looking for shards.

There is a sovereign for whom all earthly politicians
are mere stable boys.

Some drink old wine from old wine skins
I drink eternal truth by the jar,
by the barrel-full.

I Am the soul's source,
the temple of the heart.
I Am the ever turning sky
not some church dome over a nave.

I Am a pure mirror--no dust
I Am the burning core of Mt. Sinai
not some jealous God full of hatred.

I Am intoxicated by a wine not pressed from grapes...
the one everyone wants deep inside their troubles.

Archangels, prophets, even you
could come here and sit beside me...
if you became God
if you could say, I Am that, I Am.


1 Comments:

Blogger Gary O said...

Wonderful! I assume the Muse has struck again.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home