Monday, December 21, 2009

Fundamentalism

I recently read the following "working definition" of fundamentalism, and it rings true for me.

"I know that there isn't one neat and tidy definition of "fundamentalism", but for me some of the hallmarks of this religion are:

Stubbornly maintaining the exclusive validity of one's set of beliefs over the beliefs of others, especially when confronted with a differing viewpoint;

Consistently favoring dogma over dialogue or discussion;

An inability to give another the benefit of the doubt or open oneself to the possibility that one might have something yet to learn from the other."

Seems pretty accurate to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger C. Sam Smith said...

As a "recovering" fundamentalist, I agree, wholeheartedly.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home