Monday, February 06, 2012

I could see God in everything

I suddenly saw that all the time it was not I who
had been seeking God, but God who had been seeking
me. I had made myself the centre of my own existence
and had my back turned to God. All the beauty and
truth which I had discovered had come to me as a
reflection of his beauty, but I had kept my eyes
fixed on the reflection and was always looking at
myself. But God had brought me to the point at
which I was compelled to turn away from the
reflection, both of myself and of the world which
could only mirror my own image. During that night
the mirror had been broken, and I had felt abandoned
because I could no longer gaze upon the image of
my own reason and the finite world which it knew.
God had brought me to my knees and made me
acknowledge my own nothingness, and out of that
knowledge I had been reborn. I was no longer the
center of my life and therefore I could see God in
everything.
- Bede Griffiths

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home