Thursday, April 24, 2008

Further Reflections from Fred

To My Fellow OOOW Pilgrims:

The possibility that some of you may not want to affirm the Christian perspective in Yeshua as the tap root of OOOW has given me some pause; yet at the same time, I acknowledge and respect the diversity within OOOW. This response is to share in more detail where I am coming from, yet with the assumption that each of us is on our own unique journey unto the Holy One.

1. My life in the institutional church and with Christianity has been formational in a progressive and loving context for which I feel enormous gratitude. However, I know that many persons have had to cope with rigidity and unChrist-like behaviors within the various expressions of the Christian faith.

At the same time, my journey have been to a deeper and more contemplative spirituality than what I receive in my local congregation and in much of Methodism. Celtic Christianity and OOOW have provided pathways in this regard. More specifically, the wisdom tradition of the Order has opened new and rich horizons.

For me it would be ideal for OOOW to be so identified with the Christian stream of spirituality that we would together find ways of interpreting Christianity in a broader contemplative and wisdom path than is usually represented in our local congregations and in our seminaries. As the same time, we can vigorously learn from, and experience the Divine, from other spirituality streams; but such an approach does not necessitate a blurring or ignoring the best in the diverse Christian traditions.

It’s difficult for me to perceive how I could simultaneously be immersed in Jewish, Sufi, Buddhist, etc spiritualities and wisdom traditions. The more realistic and doable option for me is to more deeply immerse myself in the tradition that has nurtured me so meaningfully and the tradition that my family, network of colleagues and friends take seriously.

Is it not true that the teachers and mystics of all the great traditions do not walk away from a grounding in their particular heritage? That is what Rabbi Shapiro said to us at the last Gathering. I believe this is what the Dali Lama does as well as the Sufi masters like Kabir Helminski and Seyyed Hossein Nasr, the Buddhist masters such as Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh.

Again, to have the Christian tradition as our home does not prevent us from drawing upon other perspectives. In many ways, Thomas Merton is a model for me in his interactions with Buddhist and Sufi masters, yet remaining in his Christian home even as he internalized insights and perspectives from other faiths.

I have to be honest in affirming that if OOOW evolves into a generic or generalized exploration of wisdom without a grounding and identity in any particular tradition, it would be frustrating for me; and yet, I would still want to be in the OOOW community that is so rich and stimulating for my head, and most especially, my heart!

2. So I want to remain in the wisdom journey with everyone in OOOW. There is obvious love and wisdom in each participant and that is worth traveling all the way to Texas at least once a year!

3. I have been particularly drawn to OOOW because the Order resonates with what has been happening within me for several years ---- a connecting with realities deeper than particular ideas, doctrines or ideologies. i.e., a way of being and living that participates in Life, Light and Love.

4. In my particular situation, the option of processing wisdom without a primary grounding in Yeshua has prompted me to realize that my “liberal” assumptions have often resulted in taking Jesus for granted.

My Christian formation was with pastors, mentors and professors who approached Jesus mainly from the social gospel tradition. Indeed, the reason I was drawn to Jesus was to be like him, i.e., to love tenderly, act justly and walk humbly with God. But it was often more a matter of having progressive ideas about God. When I discovered the contemplative and the wisdom traditions, the journey became deeper and more profound than just a progressive and social justice theology.

Our discussion of the identity and mission of OOOW has helped me to realize anew how vital Yeshua is for me as a wisdom way. I know now that as I seek to “download” more directly from Yeshua that I will connect even more substantively with the Center and thereby connect with all the great religious and spirituality traditions.

The discussion also around the identity of OOOW has helped me realize that I need a primary home, a grounding and that for me it is the Christian perspective, even with all of its problems (which I assume is to be found in all other paths).

On my first read of several responses to our OOOW identity issue, I wondered if I would be isolated in OOOW with my inner invitation to continue with Christianity and Yeshua as the tap root for my exploration of wisdom, but now I am okay with the diversity within the Order. Indeed, I believe that authentic faith and living is not from certainty of ideas, but the creative insecurity of trust and love. So vigorous and heart-perceived discussion is invaluable and that is what I know is happening.

Finally, we all have different perspectives. I look forward to appreciatively understanding your orientation and to continuing in the OOOW community with you.

Thanks for hearing me.
Fred Macon, 4/24/08

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home